- Analyze site traffic
- Gain knowledge of user trends
- Identify your preferred language
- Give you personally tailored content
- Maintain user sessions
- Verify your identity on our servers
- For us to adhere to the settings on your user account
What types of cookies do we use?
We use four types of cookies:
- Essential – cookies that are essential to provide you with the services you have requested. For example, these include the cookies that make it possible for you to stay logged into your account. If you set your browser to block these cookies, then these functions and services will not work for you. In particular, we won’t be able to save your preferences about cookies.
- Performance – cookies which measure how often you visit our sites and how you use them. We use this information to get a better sense of how our users engage with our journalism and to improve our sites and apps so that users have a better experience. For example, we collect information about which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users. We also use third-party cookies to help with performance. For example, the Google Analytics cookie gives us information such as your journey between pages and whether you have downloaded anything (details of how to opt-out of it are below).
- Functionality – cookies that are used to recognize you and remember your preferences or settings when you return to our site so that we can provide you with a more personalized experience.
- Advertising – cookies that are used to collect information about your visit to our site, including the content you have viewed, the links you have followed, and information about your browser, device, and your IP address. We have set out more details on this below.
Cookies we do use:
- Google Analytics:
- Cookie Name: -ga
Cookie purpose description: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the Website.
Expiry: 2 Years
- Cookie Name: -gid
Cookie purpose description: Used by Google Analytics to throttle request rate
Expiry: 1 day
- Cookie Name: -gat
Cookie purpose description: Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how the visitor uses the website.
Expiry: 1 day